Gas heaters are extremely sensitive and if not installed properly by an experienced gas fitter then it may cause accidents. It is mandatory to call gas heater service at least once in a month, to see if your heaters are working properly. Some heaters have been identified to cause life-risking situations if not serviced on time.
Servicing by a professional or even inspection of the chimney must be done. Gas heater service needs to be called under two conditions: Firstly, as soon as you spot any uncertain situation or any troublesome signs and secondly, you get call the serving agents before the winter season. Every gas companies have their own service persons, but you can also hire your local service operators or even book them online.
Important Questions to Ask When Hiring A Gas Heater Service Personnel
It is worrisome and saddening if your gas heater abruptly stops working during winters. In such situation, you would immediately need gas heater service personnel. In terms related to gas heaters, you should never book for any inexperienced service person. Apart from knowing their work experience or do they have licence or not, you must ask them the following questions:
- Do you take extra emergency heater repairing? Don’t wait till the time he hands over a long bill in your hand with all the expenses. It is better you ask them before hand, regarding their charges for emergency calls. There are few agencies who do charge extra while there are some who doesn’t. While, there are agencies who charge extra specifically during this weekend or on national holidays. In short, you must clear all your queries to avoid any uncalled situations.
- Before proceeding, ask your contractor to provide for a free estimate on the repair. All companies don’t provide a free estimate. Go for those companies who do provide you with a free repair estimate. This means getting a detailed structure of the expenses by the service provider. With this, you would know exactly what you’re paying for. Although, a free estimate has no value if your gas fitter doesn’t repair the equipment properly.
- Ask the gas heater service personnel whether their service has a guarantee or not. There are few agencies providing 100 percent customer satisfaction guarantee. That means, you do not have to pay them if you’re not satisfied with the services provided by them.
- You must question them regarding the type of gas heaters they are specialised in. Not all servicemen work on gas heaters; there are some who specifically work on boilers or furnaces. Know the type your servicemen are comfortable with.
The final question to be asked is what brands of equipment the servicemen carry. Before you hire them, it is important to know whether their choice or brand matches to your choice or not.
Gas Heater Service Providers Guide You on Using a Gas Heater Safely
There are certain do’s and don’ts that are to be followed while using a gas heater. The do’s laid down by the gas heater service to ensure public safety.
- There should be ample of ventilation for an easy flow of air to enter the house and for the fumes to vent out.
- Keep children and senior citizens far away from touching hot objects.
- Make sure you do not keep any flammable objects beside the heater.
Certain don’ts that are to be kept in mind include to never installing a gas heater inside your bathroom or bedroom. In closed spaces, accumulation of toxic gases can cause serious life threats. Also, air sprays should never be used near gas heaters. Lastly, disposal of any kind of cotton materials in gas heater must not be practiced.